The edit production section is located under the Performances tab. This is where you can add a production or edit an existing production / unpublished draft. There are several steps in this process.
Add details of the musical work in this section.
Production custom title
- This is mandatory for double / triple bills, adaptations, concerts, recitals, galas, where the title of the production is different from that of the musical work.
- No need to enter the original musical work title, or its translation in this field. Operabase system automatically translates the original Musical work title based on language used by visitors.
Musical work title info
- Add details pertaining to the musical work that will be performed.
- The composer name, musical work, excerpt (in case of concerts, recitals, galas programmes) and the manner in which the production is performed are specified in this section.
- Excerpts are useful for specifying the section performed in a concert or gala (i.e. the act and scene number/title). The information added here is not visible to those who view the production once it has been published.
- On Operabase, we differentiate between works using the following guidelines:
- Concert - a mixture of work instrumentation (some symphonic, some vocal)
- Opera gala - only excerpts / arias from various operas
- Recital - 1-2 featured performers and an accompanist (pianist)
For double / triple bills, add the first musical work then add the others.
“How is the musical work performed in your production?”
This section is used to define how a work is staged in a production. You can either select from the options provided or type in the Work type and Staging type. The new entries you add will be validated by our team and they can be replaced should we find a duplicate or that the entry is redundant. For example, commonly used work types and staging include:
- Opera in Concert
- Ballet/Dance with the Orchestra
- Ballet/Dance without Orchestra
- Ballet/Dance with Sets
- Ballet/Dance without Sets
- Musical theatre
- Vocal/ Song cycle
Here are some quick tips for production creation:
- Add at least one musical work
- Specify what arts organisation has produced this production
- Add website URL about production and tickets
- Add all performance dates planned for production run, specify time and venue for each performance date
- Add everyone involved in production: at least conductor and stage director and main roles, mark on what performance dates they performed
- Click publish
To create a concert performance, where the exact program is not announced or not specified, please select composer Various, musical work Concert. We recommend that you use the Custom title field to enter the concert title. Artists can specify their role next to operatic voice types, or add soloist roles.
To create a recital performance, where the exact program is not announced or not specified, please select composer Various, musical work Recital. We recommend that you use the Custom title field to enter the concert title. Artists can specify their role next to operatic voice types, or add soloist roles.
To create an opera gala performance, where the exact program is not announced or not specified, please select composer Various, musical work Opera Gala. We recommend that you use the Custom title field to enter the concert title. Artists can specify their role next to operatic voice types, or add soloist roles.
This field indicates the organisation responsible for the artistic creation of the production. It does not refer to financial producers or sponsors of the production.
When companies and festivals add production to their season, this field is automatically populated with their arts organisation name.
For artists adding a production, you will need to specify the name of the company responsible for producing the production. If it’s a co-production (where financial or artistic collaboration is involved), click the checkbox and add the name of the company or festival. You can add multiple co-producers.
If there are no suggestions that match, please add a new name.
Is this a new production that has never been staged before?
Selecting this checkbox highlights this production as new and attaches the New production tag which will appear across the platform and in exports to our partners (magazines, newspaper, journalists).
Language & surtitles
Adding the language that a work is performed as well as surtitles available helps audience members determine whether or not they’ll be able to understand the performance. For casting professionals, this helps them in seeing which languages an artist has experience in performing a musical work.
Production poster & trailer
This section helps boost engagement with audience members and lets them explore more content on the production in the video section on Operabase.
Posters are necessary to announce any associated Livestreams and VOD. Trailers are visible on production pages and will be featured in Production videos of all associated cast members, if they decide to show it. This in turn leads to additional visibility across various parts of Operabase.
You can add a poster that highlights the production or what audiences can expect (e.g. the cast, sets, costumes etc.). Please make sure that the image uploaded follows our photo guidelines.
Production video trailer
We recommend that you add a short video clip that highlights the production or what audiences can expect (e.g. the cast, sets, costumes etc.). For video examples, see here.
This section is divided into:
- Ballet or dance group
You have the option to add multiple names in this section. If there are no suggestions that match, please add a new name.
Tickets & sale dates
You are required to add the production webpage in this section. If the box office link is the same as the production webpage, select the checkbox below.
Ticket sale date & time
This is very useful for audience members who are looking to purchase tickets for the upcoming season. Please note that you can only add the generic box office link for that production and not for each performance date which will redirect users to the box office where they can select dates, times and seats.
This helps audience members gauge the price range of tickets. The currencies are listed in abbreviated format.
Dates & times of performances, livestreams and video-on-demand
Add Physical performance dates, Livestream dates, Full performance video or VOD in this section.
Physical performance dates
Select the month and year on the calendar and click each day of the performance. If there are several performances in one day you can add them later.
We recommend adding performance times and the correct location of a performance.
Select Country, then city, then available venue from the listing. If you can’t find a venue listed, check if you have selected the correct city in the correct country. Otherwise, create a new venue.
Adding the correct country and city combination for live performances is crucial to correctly feature productions on Operabase performance listings as well as venue and maps listing.
Specifying correct venues allows validated productions to be featured on the Operabase production listings which is incredibly popular with opera lovers and visitors of Operabase:
Select the month and year on the calendar and click each day of performance. If there are several streams in one day you can add them later.
Full performance video or VOD
Used when the production is available on demand. Click Add full performance video and fill out as much information as possible.
Productions can have livestream and physical dates but you will need to specify the cast for every date you select.
To delete a date:
- Click on the date on the calendar, or click the three vertical dots next to the date below and select Delete performance
To add time and venue:
- Click on edit on the dates you have selected (there are different tabs to switch between physical, livestream, and VOD)
- Add the time (in 24hr format)
- Choose type of performance - world premiere, national premiere, tour
- Choose a venue - type in the fields and select from the options. If the venue is not listed in the options given, you will need to add the venue to the system and provide as much information as possible so we can verify it.
- Hosted by - only use when another company will host a performance / performances
- Apply this same info for other selected dates - useful to copy the exact same information across all dates or several dates.
- Adding another performance time to the same date:
- If there are multiple performance times on a day, add a time then click Add time
- You will need to fill in the details (as listed above) again as the will not carry over
- Use the Mark as sold out slider to indicate if a performance is sold out
- To mark a date for an existing production as cancelled:
- Click on the date on the calendar, or click the three vertical dots next to the date below and select Mark as cancelled
- Please note that the dates cannot be marked as cancelled unless the production has been published. The Mark as cancelled option will not appear when the production is in drafts
Livestream dates: fill out as much info as possible if applicable.
Livestream cannot be featured on the Video section without a primary poster, weblink to where streaming can be seen, time and time zone of livestream.
Full performance video: fill out as much info as possible if applicable
Cast & Crew
List cast and crew members in this section. If they are not listed on Operabase, you will need to add them to the system using the Add new artist button. For more details click here.
- If a role or profession doesn’t appear on the list, you will need to add it to the production (e.g. add custom roles for any assistant directors/conductors)
- If there are multiple works in the production, make sure to click Apply to other musical works' if relevant. If not, then you will need to switch between tabs and add the cast and crew.
- Add to all performance dates - automatically adds that particular individual to all the dates that production is on. Please note that when you add a new artist, this box is automatically selected. If you are adding multiple artists to one role, only the first one will have this applied to them therefore uncheck the box when adding multiple artists to one role.
- Make sure to select all dates for the ensembles added in the Ensemble information section
NOTE: Please ensure that you select each date that each artist will perform. If this is not done, the production won't appear in the schedule and it will not be included in the artist’s repertoire (see more about artist repertoire here).
Add videos to enrich your content for audience members looking for productions to attend. The section is divided into Production trailers and Production videos.
You can either paste a video link or upload a video.
Once done, please add as much information as possible including video credits. Please see more details in our video guidelines article.
Add photos to enrich your content for audience members looking for productions to attend. The section is divided into Production posters and Production photos.
You can either paste a link or upload a photo
Once done, please add as much information as possible including photographer credits. Please see more details in our photo guidelines article.
Add a general review of the production. You will need to paste the link and fill in as much information as possible.
Production description - an overview of the production.
- Copy paste the text and select the language
- You can add descriptions in multiple languages but repeating the process
- Click Edit to make changes or the bin icon to delete
Production synopsis - general synopsis and details on each act and scene.
- Copy paste the text and select the language
- You can add the synopsis in multiple languages but repeating the process
- Click Edit to make changes or the bin icon to delete
If you have the programme of the performance in digital format you can either paste the link or upload the programme in different languages.
If the production is a co-production and each producer has their own programme prepared, please add as many production booklets as you would like.
You can jump to a section that you wish to edit using the Navigate option.
For existing productions (companies / festivals), you will see both Navigate and Actions. The Actions button allows you to:
- Hide a production - useful for published productions that you no longer want visible to audience members. This action will also hide it from the profiles of participating cast and crew.
- Mark as cancelled - cancel all dates of the production.
Please note that the Publish button is disabled for already published productions.